Sunday, December 19, 2010

Starring: Robin Stam

Me playing in a TV commercial for IKEA

To have acting skills is something valuable for a creative. During presentations it helps you to give the right interpretation of a script, whether it's for a TV- or radiocommercial. And staying nice and polite when a client kills your idea requires acting skills of the highest level (something which I still have to learn). So in a way it's not so strange that a copywriter or art-director ends up in its own commercial.

Some creatives in Holland are known for playing in their own TV-spot: Rodger van Werkhoven, Marc Bennink and Herbert van Hoogdalem have starred in one or more commercials. The creative business in Holland usually considers it a bit arrogant to do this.

But I think that's a load of bollocks. So when I wrote a script about a creative who's shopping in IKEA, I immediately casted myself for the role. You can see the result above. Acting isn't strange to me. When I was a child I played (and sang) in musicals. I even played in an episode of a kids show. But it was interesting to see if I could do a good job when my entire filmcrew is there and the camera is directed towards me. In my humble opinion it worked out very well. I'm not aspiring a new career in acting, but I'm happy to have had this experience.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha Robin dat is lang geleden, weet je nog wel van het Kinder- Kookcafé.Toen was je geloof ik 8 jaar.

7:17 pm  
Blogger Robin Stam said...

Haha, nee ik was toen 11 geloof ik. Maar ik leek 8 omdat ik zo klein was :-D. Ik heb een lange sabbatical gehad in mijn carriere als acteur ;-).

12:15 am  
Anonymous Camiel said...

Robin als kindster op tv:

Youtube clip or it did not happen. ;-)

12:00 pm  
Anonymous 5tarvin said...

je ben zeker 1 van de knapste in deze reclame

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home