Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Exit politics

Somehow, just being creative isn't enough if you want to break trough in advertising. Politics inside of the agency seems to be just as important. How to deal with the clients and account directors in a diplomatic way, how to make sure the next big campaign assigment is coming your way, how to delegate photographers, directors, designers and retouchers. Above all, the creative business is a human business.

As soon as the news is out that somebody leaves, the politics become a whole different ball game. The rules change. You're not getting the big assigments anymore because there might be a chance that you cannot fulfill the entire execution phase. Moreover, there are other teams waiting for a cool assignment. On the other hand, your workload also gets less. You get little shitty assignmenst that nobody else wants to do and if you just do your job, nobody bothers you too much so you'll have a peaceful last few months in the agency. It feels like you become invisible...

And that's something that doesn't work for me. Especially not while I'm still working with a Miami Ad School student who has brilliant ideas. So this week, when I heard that we were put off a big assigment and got a small briefing to write headlines instead, I immideately ran upstairs to ask what is going on. I assured everybody that we have enough time for the headlines and the big assignment. I don't know how long I'm still in the agency, but I know one thing for sure: I'll be working my ass off until the last second I'm there. Even if it means I have to prove myself over and over again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zo is het Robin en niet anders.
Zo hebben we je opgevoed.
Doorgaan voor de volle 100 procent en werken/vechten tot het einde aan toe,dat is de echte Robin.
Kus M

5:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

m = marvin ??

10:05 pm  
Blogger Robin Stam said...

Marvin die mij heeft opgevoed? Lijkt me niet erg waarschijnlijk :-D

1:40 pm  
Anonymous 5tarvin said...

vroeger dat je bij op schoot in slaap viel ....

4:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home