Thursday, June 04, 2009

Longer smoking break

I told in an earlier post already that I'm going to quit smoking for a month. I thought it was a ridiculous thing to do but at least I would know for the first time since I was 13 years old to be completely smoke-free. 

Was it as easy as I expected? Yes, and it was even easier. The first it was a little bit difficult when I saw everybody in the club smoking around me. But that was it. Smoking is moment-related and I had only difficulties on the moments that I was used to having a cigarette. I have to say that I didn't smoke a lot, but even when I multiply the difficulty by three times it would have been quite easy.

Did I notice a lot of changes in my health? No, not really. My condition is a little bit better. I have a little bit more energy. But that's about it. Nevertheless, it feels good not to be dependent anymore. My month is over, so I can start smoking again. But I haven't smoked yet. Maybe in the future I will still smoke a cigarette every once in a while, but at the moment I simply haven't got the urge. So far for my rock and roll image ;-).

No, but seriously... I don't know what the fuzz is about quitting smoking. Pharmaceutical companies are making people believe (by doing research and by making advertising) that it's impossible to quit smoking without help. But these are also the same companies that sell nicotine chewing gum for 20 euro a package. 

Quitting is a mindset. If you can't quit without help you won't be able to quit with help, it's as simple as that. I understand that smoking can be a nasty habit and if you really want to stop, you shouldn't nag about how difficult it is but just stop today. Don't make plans to stop smoking after the vacation, don't do any rituals like cutting through your last cigarettes or smoking the "last one", just stop now and don't think about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin Stam said...

Dear 'mack',

Please stop polluting other people's blogs with your spam. If you've read my post, you could have known that:

1. I stopped smoking already.
2. It wasn't difficult.
3. I think pharmaceutical companies are fucking with people's minds so they can sell their expensive anti-smoking medicine. Your spam is a proof of that.

So fuck off with your 'quit smoking regimen'. Everybody who reads this and who really wants to stop smoking: do it yourself, without medicine. If I can do it on my own, so can you.

1:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home